Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chocolate Gravy

Since I talked about this in the Foodie Survey I decided to post a recipe :)

If you are a little skeptical I understand!! You can half the recipe so you don't waste anything but I can almost guarantee that you will love this over hot biscuits or toast or even pancakes or waffles. (I just had a thought.. this woudl be great over fresh strawberries yum.) It is a southern "thang" but so quick and yummy. With ingredients that you probably already have on hand!!

Chocolate Gravy

1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups milk


Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Mix the flour and cocoa together and then add to butter; stir until a thick paste is formed. Stir in sugar and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. But do not let it cook too long or it will be pudding like (although it still tastes good that way LOL).

You can add a little (about 1 tbsp) vanilla if you like.

P.S. You can cook this in the microwave, too. Just stir every two minutes until it's thickened.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if I should just pretend you never told me about this recipe.

Heather said...

Ha, I'm with Blueviolet. .... I have my running shoes on. I'm think about running right into my kitchen and making this. Then drinking it and licking the bowl. I'm bad, real bad.

Diane said...

whoa! and they call ME crazy! chocolate gravy huh? hhmmmm.... i'll have to get my bf to whip it up one morning. he makes us homemade waffles all the time.

Debbie said...

It's a chocolate sauce, isn't it? Looks great to me.

Taylor said...

Thyanks for the congrats on walking.

I will be praying for your Aunt.

Jen L. said...

I promise you I was thinking just this morning "Man, I wish I knew how to make chocolate gravy!" Thanks for the recipe!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What in the world?? I come over here for some 30 x 5 wooptie, and I get CHOCOLATE GRAVY? Oh my lands, as Grandma used to say. Girl you kill me. You've lost that lovin' feeling, whoa that loving feeling.

Jenni said...

TOTALLY making my mouth water. Ooooooh my goodness...