Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Two by Four Stew - - $5.00 dinner challenge

Two by Four Stew

2 lbs ground beef
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
2 (19 ounce) cans minestrone soup


Place beef in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until evenly brown and crumbled. Drain excess grease. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in the diced tomatoes, kidney beans and minestrone soup. Stir occasionally until heated through.

Makes roughly 8 Servings.


I made this last night and hubby and I both really liked it and it was super easy. I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I did however cook the ground beef with some onion and added garlic and salt and pepper.

2 lbs ground beef (got ground beef at wal-mart. A little under two pounds for $3)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (dollar general $.50 a can.)
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (at dollar general $.20 a can.)
2 (19 ounce) cans minestrone soup (this upset me a little. all i could find was cambell's and it was a dollar a can)
onion (I used half but it was $.78 at walmart.)

Without crackers or anything else (we didn't add anything anyway) that makes it roughly $.83 a serving. I think that's pretty good!!!

$5.00 dinner challenge brought to you by:

1 comment:

annies home said...

thanks for recipe I am always looking for great recipes that are frugal for my family
by the way love the music on your blog